I have, for no reason whatsoever, refreshed myself on the multitude of possible factors that possibly contributed to the Fall of the Roman Empire. There are no particular events happening in my personal experience, confirmed by the shared experience of those around me, driving this sudden interest in the topic.
I am simply marveling at history.
Here is a short list of factors, that again, are listed for no particular reason.
- Economic troubles and over reliance on slave labor
- Over-expansion and military overspending
- The end of the Roman Climatic Optimum (Their climate changed!)
- Connectivity of their cities encouraged the spread of what we now consider easily preventable diseases
- Growing social divisions and gross inequality
// Roman Climatic Optimum is the name of my 1980s Transformers themed Cover Band